Saturday, November 30, 2013

A Letter to My Future Husband

Dear Future Husband,

I’ve been praying for a long time. First, I prayed for guidance in what to do with my life. Should I become a religious sister or a wife? How can I best serve the Lord and bring others close to God? For as long as I can remember, I’ve felt called to the married life.

I’ve been anxiously awaiting the day I will meet you (assuming we haven’t met already) and I anticipate the day I may call you my own. I have many hopes and dreams for our marriage, and I can guarantee you it will be a great ride.

I remember praying with some young women at a retreat one day, and one of them prayed aloud for her future spouse. I thought this was the most incredible thing. So I wrote this prayer for you, and I’ve been praying it since then:


A Prayer for My Future Companion

 

I pray for you to find God, and grow close to Him, so that His grace may guide you through everything life throws your way.

I pray that you will make a promise to remain pure, not only sexually, but in how you speak, what you watch, how you dress, and how you view our brothers and sisters in Christ.

I pray that though you may fall into temptation and sin, you will continue to seek God’s mercy and live a life devoted to Him.

I pray for God to bless us with a happy family, whether His will be for us to have twelve children or none at all.

I pray that I can help you grow in your faith, and for you to help me grow in mine, so that we may be a “cord of three strands not easily broken”. (Ecclesiastes 4:12)

I pray that we may love each other as the Song of Songs describes: passionately, steadfastly, and eternally, like God loves us.

I pray for God to grant us strength through the crosses we will bear together, so that we may remain side-by-side till the end.

I pray that we may fall deeper in love with every new day He blesses us with together, and for those days to be great in number.

Amen.

I’ve learned, from a handful of guys who once called me their girlfriend, to let go of perfection. I know that neither one of us is perfect, so it only makes sense that our marriage won’t be perfect.

I can’t promise you no fights, a pristine home or constant bliss. In fact, that’s pretty, gosh darn unreasonable. But I can promise you a lifetime of crazy, loyal love from one heck of a woman. And I can’t wait for the days I can spend by your side, living our lives to the absolute fullest.

Until then, I’ll be patiently praying.

Faithfully yours,

Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment